Re: Custom Partition Fedora 18

On 02/17/2013 06:35 AM, Gordan Bobic wrote:

Funny you should say that. I am a refugee to KDE on non-RAM-limited machines specifically because I found Gnome 3 so utterly unusable when I first saw it that I cannot imagine myself ever trying it again. And I use XFCE on my ARM machines with limited amounts of RAM. Not only am I not convinced that the Gnome 3 developers know what their users' needs are, I am not convinced that they even know who their users are; and this is fine for the reasons I've said before - it's their project to run or ruin as they please. What I find harder to explain is why distribution packagers are annoying their users by entertaining the project maintainers' experiments.

Gordan

FOSS has no reliable and accurate way of determining who likes what. Anecdotal online remarks represent only the view of the self-selected people who post them. We are typically much more motivated by dissatisfaction to make the effort to complain than we are by satisfaction. Developers and designers have no particular reason to assume that people who go online to attack, or praise, their products represent broader opinion.

Many of the anti-Gnome 3 rants allege the developers and designers broke a bond of trust with users when they abandoned Gnome 2, that they have some kind of ethical obligation to let user wishes guide their efforts (ignoring the reality that user wishes cannot be known in any accurate way). I think that attitude is bogus and comes from a fundamental misunderstanding of the reasons FOSS exists.

My own preference for Gnome Shell, suitably tweaked, makes sense to me. The last version of Windows I bought for my own use was the first XP release, which was rather a long time ago. I've used both Linux and OS X for more than 15 years. On Linux, I spent a lot of time with Slackware and window managers like WindowMaker. I've always preferred an empty desktop, and docks to panels. I did spend a lot of time with Gnome 2 on CentOS, but never used multiple workspaces because I can't be bothered to switch between them. Ditto on OS X.

So, I've never really like the panel and desktop icons approach common to Windows/KDE/Gnome2/XFCE. My personal preference, though, doesn't mean that the designers and developers of those environments are doing something wrong. Some people like vanilla, some chocolate, some strawberry. It's all ice cream.