Re: Custom Partition Fedora 18

On 02/16/2013 06:56 AM, Gordan Bobic wrote:
On 15/02/2013 23:22, jonc wrote:
On 02/15/2013 05:28 AM, Gordan Bobic wrote:
On 14/02/2013 23:26, Jim wrote:
Fedora 18

Why for HEAVENS did they change the custom partitioning in F18 from the
F17 and previous versions ?

Is there a Tutorial for Custom Partitioning for Fedora 18 ?

Perhaps in the documentation? This
<http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/18/html/Installation_Guide/s1-diskpartsetup-x86.html>
takes you to the partitioning section in the middle of the Anaconda
docs.  There is also a help file available in the application.

Like it or not, they had their reasons
<http://ohjeezlinux.wordpress.com/2013/02/05/anaconda-retrospective/>
for the change.

Most of the time, at least in the past 5 years or so, I've been finding that changes have been made for the sake of change, not an actual need for the change (Gnome 3, anyone?). I'm not saying Fedora is alone in this - most distros have suffered similar mis-decisions by the developers. A lot of it also feeds from upstream where maintainers are far more interested in pursuing their on pet feature sets than providing a long term reliable, well understood and well supported code base.

Not that this is "wrong" per se - you cannot expect volunteers maintaining OSS projects to pursue anything but their own project goals, and this must be respected. It is, however, much less justifiable with important projects that are heavily sponsored by corporations.

Gordan

Well, FOSS is certainly developer-centric. But, then, so is all software creation. By definition, users don't make software, so developers either make what they want or make what they think users will like.

I spent several years intermediating between users and developers trying to design and build new software for those users. Most users are rather inarticulate, if not useless, when it comes to telling developers about the ways they think software could help them. Typically, they complain about the faults of their current software, so the developers think all that's necessary is a shinier, tweaked and debugged version of the current stuff. Often, though, the users have simply adopted themselves to the design faults and limitations of that software. They assume its capabilities define the range of capabilities any software can provide.

It's my impression that the Gnome team decided, in effect, that the underpinnings of Gnome 2 code were too old, too buggy, too inadequate and too rickety to permit use in continued development. Were they right? Who knows, in the abstract. But, it was their code, not our code.

I also believe one reason they've reduced the feature set in Gnome 3 is to reduce future maintenance demands. After all, it's not like they number in the hundreds.

I'm finding Gnome Shell on Fedora 18, with the addition of a few extensions, to be very nice and quite speedy. I especially like the dynamic work space feature. I can move between open spaces/apps with a single click. I can't do that on Gnome 2 or any other so-called traditional panel-based GUI.

To each his or her own, of course. Personal tastes and choices don't project well on everyone else's reality, though. Otherwise, I'd be ranting about how KDE and XFCE are the result of miscreant developers possessed of no appreciation of real user needs.