Re: Custom Partition Fedora 18

On 02/17/2013 01:22 PM, jonc wrote:
On 02/17/2013 06:35 AM, Gordan Bobic wrote:

Funny you should say that. I am a refugee to KDE on non-RAM-limited
machines specifically because I found Gnome 3 so utterly unusable when
I first saw it that I cannot imagine myself ever trying it again. And
I use XFCE on my ARM machines with limited amounts of RAM. Not only am
I not convinced that the Gnome 3 developers know what their users'
needs are, I am not convinced that they even know who their users are;
and this is fine for the reasons I've said before - it's their project
to run or ruin as they please. What I find harder to explain is why
distribution packagers are annoying their users by entertaining the
project maintainers' experiments.

FOSS has no reliable and accurate way of determining who likes what.
Anecdotal online remarks represent only the view of the self-selected
people who post them. We are typically much more motivated by
dissatisfaction to make the effort to complain than we are by
satisfaction. Developers and designers have no particular reason to
assume that people who go online to attack, or praise, their products
represent broader opinion.

I believe there is, in fact, a way to reasonably reliably gauge broader opinion. While Fedora doesn't seem to have the sort of a community that is prepared to fork or repackage the distribution at a moment's displeasure, Ubuntu does, and there are number of variants favouring different desktop environments.

Gordan