Re: how/when to QA [Re: changes are still needed]

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005, Jim Popovitch wrote:
On Tue, 2005-06-14 at 10:55 +0300, Pekka Savola wrote:
Remember, almost all patches we use come from ***already QA'd
sources***.

So why do inexperienced people need to do more Q&A on those packages?

So that at least someone has tested that the application seems to work. The application has compiled, it doesn't crash outright with basic functionality, etc. -- that's trivial testing but it has non-trivial impact.

If we add tools to the mix (e.g., ways more easily to detect if the file list provided by the package, dependencies, libraries, etc. have changed), we've achieved a great deal.

Personally, I'd be OK with just publishing "trivial updates" if built by a trusted developer without any QA at all, but trivial QA like above should be doable by any FL user, might help get the community more involved with the project, etc.

For more critical updates, or patches we create on on our, I agree it would be strongly desirable to get more QA -- but unfortunately even that doesn't seem to be happening all that often.

fedora-legacy-list@xxxxxxxxxx