Re: Default Browser Voting - and apparent inconsistency with mission statement

On Fri, Aug 12, 2016 at 5:55 AM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I imagine if QupZilla is chosen as default, 90% of Fedora/KDE users
will change it every time a new version of Fedora comes out.

imagine != fact

frankly for most users it don't matter at all which browser is installed by default because they use anything which opens a webpage and the ones who care about a specific one are not all using Firefox

look at all the Windows users which used MSIE all the years while it was the worst browser out there - they just didn't care as long it rendered websites

By this logic though, "most" users won't even bother to install Fedora, because it's not the default operating system their computer ships with. Anyone who actually installs Fedora has made a choice that they are willing to change the *default* software their computer runs. There's no reason to think that wouldn't apply to a web browser as well.

True, the choice of web browser is a bit different from choice of operating system, so I'm not saying you're wrong. But it's also not *that* different, because both Google and Mozilla have been doing their best to turn their browsers into ecosystems, rather than just web browsers. If you've been using Firefox or Chrom{e,ium} for a while, you have probably built up a set of extensions you use. I know that's true of me, as a Chromium user since Fedora 17. If you use either browser and also use it on other platforms, odds are you might use their synchronization features to keep history, bookmarks, etc. consistent across devices.

What I guess I'm trying to say is: if you took someone who has never used a computer or web browser before and gave them an install of Fedora KDE with Qupzilla as the default browser, I believe you are correct: they wouldn't care and just use Qupzilla. But I suspect most *potential* Fedora users don't fall into that category these days.

(Please note: I'm not saying Qupzilla shouldn't be the default browser for other, ideological reasons. But if the goal is to convert a large portion of Fedora KDE users to Qupzilla, I suspect that isn't going to succeed).

Ben Rosser