Re: Default Browser Voting - and apparent inconsistency with mission statement

Gerald B. Cox wrote:
> Rex requested that I start a separate thread on this if I believed it
> warranted further discussion.  I believe it does.  I believe that the
> current voting proposal currently underway for the selection of default
> browser does not align with the mission statement of the Fedora KDE SIG.
>
> Below is the text of my previous message which was attached to the initial
> voting results.  I understand that some voting has yet to be completed -
> but unless I am mistaken this isn't suppose to be a vote about browser
> personal preference.  It is suppose to be a vote about which browser
> aligns with the published mission of the KDE SIG.

Since you are reposting your message, I am also going to repost my reply.
:-)

> Thanks very much Rex for posting this so quickly.  I would be interested
> in understanding the reason people voted the way they did.  The issue IMO
> is that normally, when selecting a default you have well defined criteria
> for making the decision.  This assists in making sure that everyone is on
> the same page and is making an objective decision. For example, as I
> mentioned before I'm a big proponent of all things Chrome - but even if
> the Chromium that exists in the Fedora repository was in a state that
> what I would consider stable (it's not, IMO) I would still choose
> qupzilla in
> this instance.  It fits into what I believe would be the mission of the
> KDE spin.

+1

> Obviously, there is an extreme disconnect between what I believe the
> mission to be, and the opinion of others.  I believe the lack of clarity
> is causing friction.  There can be a big difference between personal
> preference and adherence to a defined mission.

Indeed. I also get the feeling that some voters are insisting on Firefox
out of personal preference.

> From the wiki:
>
> "The KDE SIG (Special Interest Group) is a group of Fedora contributors
> that maintain KDE <https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/KDE> packages in
> Fedora. Their mission is to provide high-quality, usable KDE software
> packages to Fedora users and developers and to support one another in
> maintaining those packages."
>
> Granted, qupzilla is not an official KDE project, but it is definitely
> using KDE based technologies. That tells me that all things considered,
> if there is a browser that uses these technologies, and is functional -
> that it should be favored over other contenders - unless there is a
> complelling reason. Unless I'm missing something, I don't see that
> "compelling reason". Personal preference does NOT outweigh a mission
> statement.

I agree completely.

> What am I missing here?  From an outsider looking in, it appears that
> everyone is voting based upon different criteria and not adhering to the
> mission statement.  Voting members have a responsibility to be consistent
> and objective.

Right. This is exactly why I requested justification in the meeting, but
the request was shot down.

        Kevin Kofler