Re: proposing chromium as default browser (for f25+)

Kevin Kofler composed on 2016-08-09 13:48 (UTC+0200):

Felix Miata wrote:

How is it fair to compare a Firefox tuned to your liking for "over a decade"

There's no incentive to replace an existing tool with some other tool unless it can do equally well what the old tool did and does in its current state. It may be free as in "FOSS", but relearning is not free.

(as you wrote in another paragraph) to a QupZilla with default settings that
you made almost no attempt at customizing?

That isn't what I did. I went through all QZ settings I could find trying to find every possible one that would make it work, including UI layout, as much a possible like the tool I'm used to using.

QupZilla has a preference to enable the traditional menu bar. If there is

I looked for that right away, and couldn't find any such.

Either:
a) right-click on a button or an empty space of the main toolbar, "Menu Bar"

That's what I did on the intelgfx F24 installation I was using at that time that produced no observable effect. It turns out what I was apparently up against was that the target areas are so tiny that I kept missing them. Eventually I got a hit in an appropriate spot.

If you uploaded your screenshot as a lossless PNG rather than a very low-
quality JPG, I would also be able to analyze the rendering differences in a
better way. (Right now, I cannot see what, if any, anti-aliasing is being
done in either case, because the JPEG artefacts eat it all up.)

Nothing relevant to seeing that a material difference existed between them was lost by exporting to jpg to shrink the filesize.

ATM, trying compare on my latest updated F25 installation is broken:
http://fm.no-ip.com/SS/Fedora/ff45ff48qz201-f25-168.jpg

1-Newly installed, so with a virgin profile, QZ won't open any web pages, and crashes trying to coerce it into doing so. The only way I can get any URL into its urlbar is to type it into prefs as home page and make QZ startup showing the home page. It's reload/stop button doesn't do anything.

2-Now that it's being built with GTK3, Firefox latest UI is unusable in Plasma, absent some available theme I don't know exists that would make it obey DE font settings.

3-Same screenshot demonstrates that what I previously mentioned about FF scrollbars being too narrow actually applies to the whole of Plasma. The scroller in the X-Server window is much too narrow, but then all button icons are too small too. Look & Feel is set to default F24. Desktop them was set to Air, but switching to F24 doesn't help. Neither does Oxygen.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/