Re: proposing chromium as default browser (for f25+)

Kevin Kofler composed on 2016-08-07 23:37 (UTC+0200):

Rex Dieter wrote:

Advantages and features include:
* based on same rendering engine as qtwebengine (that qupzilla uses)

So why not use the native adaptation (QupZilla) instead?

* has active, well-supported upstream

So do QtWebEngine and QupZilla.

* some kde integration: kde file dialogs, kwallet for secrets

QupZilla has those too, and in addition, a more native look&feel, by using
Qt rather than Aura or GTK+.

* supports most chrome addons/extensions

That's the only thing that could make users prefer Chromium. I think that
should not be the killer argument. The point of a web browser is still to
browse the web, not to host extensions. :-)

A high proportion of extension functionality here serves the purpose of restoring functionality (compared to Netscape/Mozilla Suite/SeaMonkey) lost or rearranged or adding requested-via-BMO but never acquired.

Disadvantages include:
* pretty new to fedora (only a few weeks)

By that very same argument, the stable QupZilla 2.0.0 and QtWebEngine 5.6.0
releases were rejected as a default for Fedora 24.

* packaging/buildsystem is... messy and fragile (not unique here,
qtwebengine suffers similarly but less so)

"but less so" indeed: QtWebEngine builds less of the bundled junk than
Chromium, and a lot of the gyp PITA is hidden behind a more usable qmake
project.

* not 100% native (like qupzilla)

Right, and as I mentioned above, this directly affects the look&feel the
user will see. Chromium does not look native at all, and probably also feels
different from a Qt application to most users. Just look at the title bar,
the icons, the widget style, etc.

I'd never opened QupZilla before now. Opened in F24 without making any attempt to locate or install any option, plugins, extensions, etc., I don't see anything but disadvantages compared to FF, and very little to recommend it over Chromium:
http://fm.no-ip.com/SS/Fedora/ff45vqz201chr52-f24-120.jpg

1-Like other non-Gecko, non-KHTML browsers, both cannot be made to obey DPI (meaning accurate physical sizes in their viewports are impossible unless the displays' physical DPI is exactly 96).

2-Abundant space wasted wasted making tabs easy to close by accident in both.

3-Main menubar is undiscoverable in both.

4-Search bar is too narrow in both.

5-UI text is not black (as is FF in obeying Plasma desktop settings) in QZ.

6-UI text font family is not as specified in Plasma's desktop settings (seems to be Oxygen rather than Droid) in QZ.

7-QZ Sticks new "hidden" directories in $HOME at top by capitalizing first letters.

8-Scrollbar is too narrow in both.

9-Same minimalist inadequately emboldened stick-figure icons as displeases me about Plasma 5 generally, though arguably better than the barely big enough to target FF native icons.

10-QZ (only) misreports window width.

11-Chrom's urlbar text is too small.

12-Text size buttons missing in both.

If the best user experience is really the goal, FF with a theme custom made for Plasma and Fedora is probably the best target to shoot for.

In any event, under this roof, usability trumps appearance always. #1 alone is enough to shoot down anything running on WebKit or Blink engines. The only times I've ever opened Chrom* is to compare behavior to other browsers. Too much functionality is missing to use either it for normal browsing. QZ doesn't look much better.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/