Re: Proposal: Move Council Discuss List to Discourse

On Thu, Oct 18, 2018 at 2:24 PM Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 12, 2018 at 09:22:10AM -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> > The age of having people manually poll web-based systems is the
> > past. The main methods I can think of to maintain that is dopamine
> > hits or charging money so they need to connect regularly to get
> > their money's worth. We don't have the creepiness factor to do
> > dopamine hits, and we're not going to charge money.
>

> Sorry for the slow reply here. I've been thinking. :)
>
> This part is actually kind of a puzzle to me. That's because I am subscribed
> to 68 Fedora active mailing lists, and probably another dozen that haven't
> had activity recently. There's no way I can let that be a "push" process,
> because I'd drown in the deluge. So, instead, reading my Fedora mail is
> alreay an intentional act where I open and go through those folders. For me,
> there's no real difference in that aspect.
>
> Now, I recognize I may be in a special situation here, but I don't think
> it's unique. I had to do this long before I was Fedora Project Leader.
>

> > Also consider someone engaged will now have to use two separate
> > systems, and the logic as to which system a given team is on is
> > non-existent, so it'll be a new guessing game for a beginning
> > contributor to figure out where to go.
>
> Yes, we definitely have a problem here, but I think that's happening whether
> we like it or not. For example, the design team really centers around
> discussion in Pagure tickets. Other groups are actually primarily using
> Telegram. We need ... well, we need Hubs, or at least Hubs Lite.

Can you expand on what Hubs lite means?  We were unable, for many
reasons, to complete hubs.  What was that team overreaching for?
There were a lot of smart people on that project and they seemed to be
talking in terms of MVP.

I suspect you don't just mean a site that has a web-irc, hyperkitty,
and ical feed display widget set.  I feel like that has been done and
has already shown to not drive engagement in other communities,
however I can't find the system I was thinking of.

regards,

bex

> --
> Matthew Miller
> <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Fedora Project Leader

Brian (bex) Exelbierd | bexelbie@xxxxxxxxxx | bex@xxxxxxxxx
Fedora Community Action & Impact Coordinator
@bexelbie | http://www.winglemeyer.org