Re: Proposal: Move Council Discuss List to Discourse

On Sun, Oct 14, 2018 at 11:18 PM Máirín Duffy <duffy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> You're misunderstanding what I said.
>
> There isnt a class of people who prefer forums. People will visit a platform in a polling fashion that gives the dopamine hit because it is more compelling than any single facet of their lives. It has network effects, it basically serves as an RSS reader across their life.

I think most of us poll our inbox far too often because of the
dopamine hit.  I know that I follow several forums because the topics
interest me (a/k/a dopamine hit).  I look at sites like Stack Exchange
or Reddit that have somehow managed to make forums work.  So I have
trouble understanding this statement.

> A fedora discourse server can never be that to any single person.

While I suspect you didn't mean to make this absolutist of a
statement, I also suspect that the number is larger than we both
believe.  We also don't know if it is a majority of the total
population and I understand your position to be that it is a minority
of the Fedora Community.

regards,

bex

> This is even more true if said person is a volunteer.
>
> You cannot divide humans into "email" people and "forum" people. That is not how this works.
>
> ~m
>
> On October 14, 2018 7:38:30 AM EDT, "Brian (bex) Exelbierd" <bexelbie@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>

>> On Fri, Oct 12, 2018 at 3:23 PM Máirín Duffy <duffy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm engaged and a regular contributor, and I'm not visiting even pagure
>>> regularly. I follow it via email and jump in directly from the email
>>> link as I notice things. I have to schedule time on a regular basis
>>> during design team meetings to triage it, because I otherwise rarely
>>> look at it. Pagure is the main system my team uses to communicate and
>>> get things done.
>>

>> I use Pagure the same way and I solely monitor discourse via email notices similar to the Pagure ones.
>>
>>> You cannot assume just because someone is engaged in the project now
>>> that they will happily go off to some other system and model and
>>> transfer that there. Especially when the system driving their regular
>>> enagement is as universal as email. You can't compete with that with a
>>> silo system. Even Slack has fallen, but for a while it had that factor
>>> because people would have multiple projects they'd connect to with it
>>> so it had value across multiple projects / facets.
>>

>> I agree. I think this idea of trying to balance serving email-silo contributors who tend to be more prevalent in our community today and attracting new contributors who we believe are not email-silo-centric is why this is such a hard problem. I’m understanding that experiments like discourse are trying to find a path forward so we can grow.
>>
>>> The age of having people manually poll web-based systems is the past.
>>

>> I agree, even in the face of those declaring the ongoing “death” of RSS. :)
>>
>>> The main methods I can think of to maintain that is dopamine hits or
>>> charging money so they need to connect regularly to get their money's
>>> worth. We don't have the creepiness factor to do dopamine hits, and
>>> we're not going to charge money.
>>

>> Agreed on both points. AIUI, the belief is that contributors who prefer a forum model naturally revisit those sites, while those who are email-centric will use email notifications to do what you and I do.  I think there may be RSS feeds too.
>>
>>> Also consider someone engaged will now have to use two separate
>>> systems, and the logic as to which system a given team is on is
>>> non-existent, so it'll be a new guessing game for a beginning
>>> contributor to figure out where to go.
>>

>> We’ve got this problem with other areas today already and it is one we need to work on. I’m hoping we can find a way to clarify this for all areas as we go through changes. I think it is important that we allow the project to grow and change and not just freeze everything where we were (are) because the message is so difficult to get right.

> [...]

Brian (bex) Exelbierd | bexelbie@xxxxxxxxxx | bex@xxxxxxxxx
Fedora Community Action & Impact Coordinator
@bexelbie | http://www.winglemeyer.org