Re: Proposal: Move Council Discuss List to Discourse

On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 4:11 PM Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 03:49:32PM -0400, Neal Gompa wrote:
> > It has been a pretty difficult for me to properly filter for the
> > OpenMandriva and Snapcraft forums (which replaced MLs with Discourse).
>
> We can customize the subject format in a way that might help. See
> https://meta.discourse.org/t/customize-subject-format-for-standard-emails/20801
> It'd be nice if there were further X- headers for more filtering rather than
> just parsing the subject.
>
> Other than the filtering issue, what's your impression of the switch for
> OpenMandriva? Did they just do it for support forums, or for devel as well?

Initially it was the support forums. The rest came when we lost access
to the mail list system and it went down. We've transitioned over to
Discourse, and now we don't discuss much there anymore.

It has forced us to more aggressively hold conversations on IRC,
because Discourse was far too painful. There are some developer
feedback threads on the OpenMandriva Discourse, but it was largely a
failure.

It did work out reasonably well for user support, but that's because
historically there were both support forums and mail lists for user
support. Mageia does the same thing, though they run a phpBB forum
instead of Discourse. For OpenMandriva, we just closed the user list
and migrated it to Discourse.

However, I think if we had HyperKitty back then (it was brand new
then), we probably wouldn't have stood up Discourse. Most people
preferred the mailing list and that feeling remained after the
transition.