Re: Proposal: Move Council Discuss List to Discourse

On 10.10.18 17:29, Sanja Bonic wrote:
It's important to look at the user base of who is preferring mailing lists and how it holds up for new users. Mailing lists are the preferred way for most people who've used them for a long time, but new users (newcomers to open source, younger people) definitely prefer to write on a forum and for that experience, it's better if it's a more modern one with relevant features that enhance user experience.

I agree with that 100% - that was the rationale for Hyperkitty's creation several years ago. Even for long time, experienced & technical Fedora contributors contributing design talent to the project, the old school mailing list style of communication was limiting our efforts to recruit.

While not being able to follow the council via mail is a barrier for me personally as an old-timer, I also understand my needs aren't the primary ones here.

However, if Discourse is only available via webui and the email notification system is limited, then I'd worry about it lacking the network effects to get new users coming back. When a system is built on email, there's at least a mechanism to receive notifications (easily turned off in HK) to keep you engaged with the community. When it's a random web url + sign up, what is driving repeat visits?

It'll certainly be interesting to see how it works in practice!

~m