Re: Proposal: Move Council Discuss List to Discourse

On Thu, Oct 11, 2018 at 5:29 PM Máirín Duffy <duffy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 10.10.18 17:29, Sanja Bonic wrote:
> > It's important to look at the user base of who is preferring mailing
> > lists and how it holds up for new users. Mailing lists are the preferred
> > way for most people who've used them for a long time, but new users
> > (newcomers to open source, younger people) definitely prefer to write on
> > a forum and for that experience, it's better if it's a more modern one
> > with relevant features that enhance user experience.
>
> I agree with that 100% - that was the rationale for Hyperkitty's
> creation several years ago. Even for long time, experienced & technical
> Fedora contributors contributing design talent to the project, the old
> school mailing list style of communication was limiting our efforts to
> recruit.
>
> While not being able to follow the council via mail is a barrier for me
> personally as an old-timer, I also understand my needs aren't the
> primary ones here.
>
> However, if Discourse is only available via webui and the email
> notification system is limited, then I'd worry about it lacking the
> network effects to get new users coming back. When a system is built on
> email, there's at least a mechanism to receive notifications (easily
> turned off in HK) to keep you engaged with the community. When it's a
> random web url + sign up, what is driving repeat visits?

If the discourse/forum threads are easier and more engaging for new
contributors of today versus mailing lists, then I think we have two
answers here.  Those who are engaged and want to be regular
contributors are already in a routine where visiting these sites
regularly is going to happen.  The other is that we may see a rise in
episodic contributors.  I just finished contributing to a study on
episodic contributors and look forward to seeing the final results.
We may find that we are able to boost our episodic contribution rate
in a way that effectively grows our project and really focuses in on
our mission of helping people serve their communities of choice.

Also, on the email notification side, I have enabled "watch first
post" in areas of my interest.  It is brilliant.  Whenever a new
thread starts, I get an email.  At that point I only get follow ups on
threads I find interest in.

regards,

bex

> It'll certainly be interesting to see how it works in practice!
>
> ~m

Brian (bex) Exelbierd | bexelbie@xxxxxxxxxx | bex@xxxxxxxxx
Fedora Community Action & Impact Coordinator
@bexelbie | http://www.winglemeyer.org