Re: Sound on new Debian install is hosed -- problem solved

On Fri, 14 Nov 2014, Alan McConnell wrote:

>>>    	   Here it is:
>>> E: [pulseaudio] authkey.c: Failed to truncate cookie file: Invalid argument
>>> W: [pulseaudio] authkey.c: Failed to load authorization key
>>> +'/home/alan/.config/pulse/cookie': Invalid argument
>>> 	   What do you make of it?  If you had received such a daunting
>>> 	   message, would you have anticipated that your command
>>> 	   nevertheless went through?   For your information:  I had
>>> 	   previously created the pulse directory in ~/.config and
>>> 	   had put an empty file, named 'cookie', in it.<G>
>>
>> And clearly an empty file is not a valid cookie file. You might want to try
>> removing it althogether. I suspect but do not know that when pulseaudio finds
>> a cookie file it assumes that authentication is required.
>    	   I'm afraid you are missing the point.  Despite the complaints
> 	   about failure to truncate, failure to load, invalid
> 	   argument, pulseaudio _was_ started.  This means I don't
> 	   have to worry further about pulseaudio, or also, or how
> 	   they work together.  "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
> 	   I also think an empty cookie is a fine idea<g>.

And you missed my point. The startup is clearly cracked, even if not broken.
pulseaudio complains about the cookie file. Try removing the cookie file and
see if it still complains (I would be not).
And you did ask "What do you make of it?"

>> If you look up the documentation of pulseaudio you might find something
>> describing such files. Or maybe not. pulseaudio was developed by the same
>> redhat developers that developed systemd, which is also not know for extensive
>> comprehensible documentation. But I will not look for it.
>  	   AFAIK no one asked you to.

Never said you did. But sometimes people have expectations that if someone
tries to help them, that help should be a fulsome as possible. Just warning
that I cannot help further.

>>> 	   Interesting.  In view of the problems I indicated above:
>>> 	   analog/digital, huge number of formats, etc etc, I think
>>
>> All computer sound is digital.
>      	    You don't say!  I'll treasure that insight.  Isn't it
> 	    lucky that Shannon proved his sampling theorem, and hence
> 	    frequencies sampled at 40kHz will yield sound frequencies
> 	    up to 20kHz.  I myself, being an Old Guy, can't hear
> 	    up to 10kHz.
>
>> That is the job of the manufacturer. Linux does not have that luxury, and the
>> work done by the developers and supporters of ALSA is truely impressive.
>> However, their main interest has been technical, and a good user interface has
>> not be high on their list of priorities.
>           They have an impressive set of utilities.  And, as I think I've
> 	   remarked before, ALSA normally works "out of the box".  I
> 	   picked a wrong kernel when I installed Wheezy; one which didn't
> 	   have ALSA compiled in.  So I backported a new kernel, and
> 	   also backported a newer pulse audio.  This may account for the
> 	   trouble I had(past tense, fortunately)

I have no idea how debian does things but am very very surprized that any
wheezy kernel would not come with Alsa compiled in. But often the world
surprizes me.

>>> 	   It is a nice ncurses program.  Don't you have it on your
>>> 	   system, Mr Unruh?
>>
>> It was the spelling.

I was basically checking if it was the spelling or if there was some program
called Alsomixer that I had not heard about.

>     	   Jeez.  Did I pick you up when your wrote 'pulseaudion' in
> 	   your first post?

Yes. You just did:-)

>>> 	   If this elaborate process is my alternative to putting the
>>> 	   command into my .bashrc, you know which I'll choose!
>>
>> That's elaborate?
>  	   It is certainly dangerous to monkey with run-levels.

Well, yes and no. This way it installs pulseaudio so that everyone using te
system can also use pulseaudio. Your way makes it you only. But it is
certainly up to you. Usually the distro is set up to install such links for
you on installation of the distro.