Re: Sound on new Debian install is hosed -- problem solved

On Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 07:17:54PM -0600, Alves, Prashant wrote:

> Hi Alan,
>
> Sorry for the late reply. I have lost access to the pc that was similar
> to your setup so I will not be able to do any experiments. My replies
> are below.
      	     No need to!  The solution to my problem was absurdly
	     simple.  I have suspected for quite a while that I
	     needed  pulseaudio to work "on top of" ("underneath"?
	     "alongside of"?) alsa.  I have in /etc/init.d/
	     an executable named also-utils, also one named
	     pulseaudio.   From my "research"(aka searching helplessly
	     around on the Internet) I discovered that ALSA needs
	     pulseaudio to function.  So I ran the command
	     	   pulseaudio --start
	     and got an error message.  "well, that didn't work!"
	     I thought, and went back to experimenting.  Several
	     hours later, I tried a video I have, using vlc,
	     and Lo and Behold!  the sound was there, perfect.  ? ? ?
	     I ran   ps aux | grep pulse  and pulseaudio was
	     running.  The error message was a fake warning of
	     some sort  ?  ?  ?

	     So now I'm happy.  I've closed my bug report to
	     Debian -- the first report I've filed in 10 years
	     of using Debian -- and I can get off this
	     alsa-users E-list.   I haven't yet figured out: am I
	     stupid, or what?  <g>  You gentlemen can tell me what
	     you think<g>.

> >> Did you check alsamixer to ensure that the outputs are not muted ? Also if you have pulseaudio installed, you would have to check pulse audio mixer to ensure the sound is not muted there (or remove pulseaudio to debug or reduce complexity).

	Alsomixer, also amixer, work fine now.  I know I can turn the
	sound on or off, adjust the level, etc, if I need to.  But
	I plan to follow the old maxim:  "if it ain't broke, don't
	fix it."

	There is one slight issue remaining:  the executable
	/etc/init.d/pulseaudio is not working on my system, for I
	had to run the command   pulseaudio  --start  this morning
	when I turned my machine on.  Do you know how to make it
	work?  It is of course no problem to run   pulseaudio --start
	by hand, and I can probably put this command into my
	.bashrc, but still . . .

> [prashant] Unless you really need pulseaudio why don't you remove
> pulseaudio for debug purposes (
  	 Just for curiosity's sake: what other Linux program
	 could I substitute for pulseaudio?  Someday, when I've
	 picked myself up off the floor, I might feel like playing
	 with it.  I am a musician, play violin and viola, so
	 the temptation is there.

> You would have to figure out the card and device. I do not remember the
> commands I used to figure those out and unfortunately as I mentioned
> earlier cannot experiment on the hardware.
>
> Cheers,
> Prashant
  	   Cheers indeed, Prashant!  I am very grateful to you for
	   taking the time and expending the thought and effort on my
	   (silly?) problem that you obviously have done.   Also
	   thanks to Clemens.

I'll stay on this E-list in hopes of getting responses about what
other people use instead of pulseaudio.

Alan

--
Alan McConnell :  http://globaltap.com/~alan/
    No one minds what Jeffreys says . . it is not more than a week ago