Re: Sound on new Debian install is hosed

Hi Alan,

Sorry for the late reply. I have lost access to the pc that was similar to your setup so I will not be able to do any experiments. My replies are below.

On 2014-11-11 08:40, Alan McConnell wrote:

Hi, Prashant, thanks for your E-mail, and suggestions.

On Mon, Nov 10, 2014 at 05:21:45PM -0600, Alves, Prashant wrote:
Did you check alsamixer to ensure that the outputs are not muted ? Also if you have pulseaudio installed, you would have to check pulse audio mixer to ensure the sound is not muted there (or remove pulseaudio to debug or reduce complexity).
  	  It is my understanding that alsamixer and amixer do the
	  same things, alsamixer being a graphical(ncurses) interface,
	  and amixer command-line.  Am I wrong?  I can send a picture
	  of the alsamixer interface, if you think it would help.

[prashant] That is my understanding too. The picture would just easily tell you if the outputs are muted. If however you are at ease using the command line interface, that is fine too as long as you figure out if you are muted or not.

I turn my computer off every night, and reboot in the morning. This morning after turning the computer on I immediately checked my /var/log/ hoping to find out what messages were given by the boot process. Here are the results of grep pulse * that bore a date of Nov 11 (start)-------------------------- messages in syslog about pulseaudio <snip>
[prashant] Unless you really need pulseaudio why don't you remove pulseaudio for debug purposes (
apt-get remove pulseaudio ). You can always reinstall it.

My computer is connected via HDMI and I had to create a asound.conf to use the audio jack instead of the hdmi audio. Do you have a similar setup ?
  	  <G>  I believe so.  I confess that I am very much in the
	  dark still.  I am certainly using HDMI.  If I have an
	  asound.conf, I haven't found it.

[prashant] Is your sound going out through the video cable or via a different audio jack. I made a new asound.conf and put it in my home directory. This changed my default audio out to the audio jack instead of hdmi. You could do the same like so:
vim ~/.asoundrc

pcm.!default{
        type hw
        card 0
        device 3
subdevice 0
}

You would have to figure out the card and device. I do not remember the commands I used to figure those out and unfortunately as I mentioned earlier cannot experiment on the hardware.

Cheers,
Prashant