Re: Sound on new Debian install is hosed

It looks like you have a similar card as mine:

0 [HDMI ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel HDMI
HDA Intel HDMI at 0xf7d34000 irq 62
1 [PCH ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel PCH
HDA Intel PCH at 0xf7d30000 irq 63

I had to go to a backported kernel to fix the sound for me. Here is the kernel that worked for me linux-image-3.14-0.bpo.2-686-pae. I believe there is a updated version of the backported kernel but I have not tried it.

On 2014-11-10 08:39, Alan McConnell wrote:

Assembled Wisdom!

I bought a new desktop, and installed  Wheezy(Debian v 7) on it.
And sound, ALSA, which ran very well with Squeeze, is now
frightful.  When it runs, it yields horribly staticy, crackly
sound.  When I click to pause a video, the crackly sound
continues for another 4 secondes before ceasing.

Here is the result of my cat of    /proc/asound/cards:
 0 [Intel          ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
                      HDA Intel at 0xf7d14000 irq 43
 1 [Intel_1        ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
                      HDA Intel at 0xf7d10000 irq 43
          I believe that they are supported under Wheezy?

My kernel is:   vmlinuz-3.2.0-4-686-pae  .  This is old, I am
told, but my Squeeze kernel was  v 2.6   IIRC.

I found that there is a pulseaudio in Debian backports, and I
installed that, but it did not help.

A possibility is to remove the present ALSA from my system, and
then build ALSA on my own.  Can ALSA be built from source?  I
have gcc 4.7.2 installed.

I shall be extremely grateful for help, or suggestions.

Alan