Re: Sound on new Debian install is hosed

On Mon, Nov 10, 2014 at 10:03:56AM -0600, Alves, Prashant wrote:

> It looks like you have a similar card as mine:
>
> 0 [HDMI ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel HDMI
>  HDA Intel HDMI at 0xf7d34000 irq 62
>  1 [PCH ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel PCH
>  HDA Intel PCH at 0xf7d30000 irq 63
          I don't understand the difference in IRQs.  But they
	  seem similar

> I had to go to a backported kernel to fix the sound for me. Here is the
> kernel that worked for me linux-image-3.14-0.bpo.2-686-pae. I believe
> there is a updated version of the backported kernel but I have not tried
> it.
	  I have just installed a new kernel,
	    linux-image-3.16-0.bpo.2-686-pae
	  and rebooted.  Fortunately<g> everything seems to be
	  working as before; e.g. X, E-mail, iceweasel . . .

	  My sound is, at the moment, totally silent.  However, there
	  is perhaps reason to hope.  For now I run  amixer, and I
	  get:
Simple mixer control 'IEC958',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined penum
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [off]
Simple mixer control 'IEC958',1
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined penum
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [on]
Simple mixer control 'IEC958',2
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined penum
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [on]
         I don't know what this means.  I'd like to run a command
	 that will turn the sound on.  I thought amixer used to
	 do that.  alsamixer gives me a pretty picture . . .

It may be that I am a step away from sound.  Can Prashant, or
Clemens, or someone else, help with that step, or give another
suggestion.

TIA, and thanks to Prashant and Clemens for their suggestions.

Alan

--
Alan McConnell :  http://globaltap.com/~alan/
   "Mistakes are part of the dues one pays for a full life."(S. Loren)