Re: Sound on new Debian install is hosed -- problem solved

On Fri, Nov 14, 2014 at 01:41:32PM -0800, Bill Unruh wrote:

> If you want to know exactly what goes on you will need to read the source. As
> far as I know pulseaudion has no document that details the exact way in which
> it works, etc.
     	    I agree with this, having done the search.  I do know however
	    that pulseaudio is under active development, with a very
	    active E-list.

> >	   the "driver" mechanism(everything is a file!)  that we
> >	   all know, and some of us understand(not I, too
> >	   well<g>)
>
> On Unix, everything is a "file" or stream.
     	   What I said.

> >>Had you told us what it was we might have been able to explain
> >>to you want it was trying to say.
> >    	   Here it is:
> >E: [pulseaudio] authkey.c: Failed to truncate cookie file: Invalid argument
> >W: [pulseaudio] authkey.c: Failed to load authorization key
> >+'/home/alan/.config/pulse/cookie': Invalid argument
> >	   What do you make of it?  If you had received such a daunting
> >	   message, would you have anticipated that your command
> >	   nevertheless went through?   For your information:  I had
> >	   previously created the pulse directory in ~/.config and
> >	   had put an empty file, named 'cookie', in it.<G>
>
> And clearly an empty file is not a valid cookie file. You might want to try
> removing it althogether. I suspect but do not know that when pulseaudio finds
> a cookie file it assumes that authentication is required.
    	   I'm afraid you are missing the point.  Despite the complaints
	   about failure to truncate, failure to load, invalid
	   argument, pulseaudio _was_ started.  This means I don't
	   have to worry further about pulseaudio, or also, or how
	   they work together.  "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
	   I also think an empty cookie is a fine idea<g>.

> If you look up the documentation of pulseaudio you might find something
> describing such files. Or maybe not. pulseaudio was developed by the same
> redhat developers that developed systemd, which is also not know for extensive
> comprehensible documentation. But I will not look for it.
  	   AFAIK no one asked you to.

> > 	   Interesting.  In view of the problems I indicated above:
> >	   analog/digital, huge number of formats, etc etc, I think
>
> All computer sound is digital.
      	    You don't say!  I'll treasure that insight.  Isn't it
	    lucky that Shannon proved his sampling theorem, and hence
	    frequencies sampled at 40kHz will yield sound frequencies
	    up to 20kHz.  I myself, being an Old Guy, can't hear
	    up to 10kHz.

> That is the job of the manufacturer. Linux does not have that luxury, and the
> work done by the developers and supporters of ALSA is truely impressive.
> However, their main interest has been technical, and a good user interface has
> not be high on their list of priorities.
           They have an impressive set of utilities.  And, as I think I've
	   remarked before, ALSA normally works "out of the box".  I
	   picked a wrong kernel when I installed Wheezy; one which didn't
	   have ALSA compiled in.  So I backported a new kernel, and
	   also backported a newer pulse audio.  This may account for the
	   trouble I had(past tense, fortunately)

> >>Alsamixer?
> >	   It is a nice ncurses program.  Don't you have it on your
> >	   system, Mr Unruh?
>
> It was the spelling.
     	   Jeez.  Did I pick you up when your wrote 'pulseaudion' in
	   your first post?

> >	   If this elaborate process is my alternative to putting the
> >	   command into my .bashrc, you know which I'll choose!
>
> That's elaborate?
  	   It is certainly dangerous to monkey with run-levels.

> > 	 I have visited a friend in your lovely city.  Are you a
> >	 believer in "dark energy"?  I ask as an interested amateur;
>
> Believer? The evidence appears to be that something with an
> effective energy momentum tensor with positive energy but
> negative pressure seems to exist-- to be driving the universe.
  	 It is my understanding that the jury is very much out.  I
	 am not a physicist, but I have physicist friends at
	 Goddard Space Flight Center, where I worked for 13 years.

I hope this finishes our discussion, which is starting to drift
toward the unproductive.

Again, best wishes to all,

Alan

--
Alan McConnell :  http://globaltap.com/~alan/
    No one minds what Jeffreys says . . it is not more than a week ago