Re: no headphone volume

RobertHoltzman wrote, on 03/01/10 12:14:
> On Sun, Jan 03, 2010 at 12:00:04AM +1030, Arthur Marsh wrote:
>> Nothing "leapt out at me" but I did notice that you were running:
>>
>> < Ubuntu 8.04.3 LTS
>> < Kernel release:    2.6.24-25-generic
>>
>> < Driver version:     1.0.16
>> < Library version:    1.0.15
>> < Utilities version:  1.0.15
>>
>> These versions are probably older than what you might like to be running
>> to fully support your hardware
>
> Just checked Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic (which also exhibits the problem) that I also
> have on the desktop and the driver, library, and utilities versions are all
> 1.0.20 nd the kernel is 2.6.31-17.
>
> Maybe a coincidence but all 3 distros, Ubuntu 8.04, Ubuntu 9.10, and
> Debian 5.0.3 all on the desktop box have the problem while Ubuntu 8.04
> on my laptop doesn't. What's your opinion of a possible hardware
> problem?
>
>> I'm not sure if Ubuntu provides any option to upgrade your kernel
>> version and/or ALSA driver/library/utilities without having to upgrade
>> the entire distribution.
>
> Moot question in view of the fact that the latest Ubuntu with newer
> kernel and ALSA driver/library/utilities have the problem.

OK, I'm not sure that the desktop box has similar enough sound hardware
as the laptop to have the same problem.

Can try a more recent live CD on the laptop, e.g. next Ubuntu release
after 8.04? If headphone sound with it doesn't work, obtain an
alsa-info.sh output from it, which can be compared with the alsa-info.sh
from the laptop running Ubuntu 8.04 LTS. (Was the script output you
previously provided from your laptop or desktop BTW?)

Regards,

Arthur.