mono pcm playout on default

Hello All,

I am working on TI Davinci which uses aic3204 codec.  While writing a simple alsa application based on alsa lib 1.0.22, I found out the following.
When the playback device name is specified as "default" for snd_pcm_open(), mono audio works.  On the other hand, when the device name is "hw:0,0", mono does not work, but only stereo works.

I started analyzing alsa-lib from snd_pcm_hw_params_set_channels().

In both cases it reaches the function pcm_params.c: _snd_pcm_hw_param_set(), at hw_is_interval(var)
For the latter case, the function interval.c:snd_interval_refine() returns error from the inline snd_interval_checkempty()

From alsa documentation, it looks like both hw:0,0 and default are the same.  But still, why there is a difference between these two?
Any clues?

Anand