Re: pulseaudio is off. microphone capture is too quiet.

Robert Hancock <hancockrwd@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Disabling PulseAudio is not a very good idea on Fedora 12 especially, as the setup is
> quite highly dependent on it and it will cause many bad side effects like disabling all
> software mixing (as dmix is not configured). Switching off PulseAudio on a distribution
> which is set up to use it is pretty outdated and poor advice that I wish people would stop
> giving to people like yourself, as it almost certainly has nothing to do with your
> problem.

Following defect is the same as mine, and the cure was to disable
pulseaudio.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pulseaudio/+bug/275998

I am also tracking another audio problem, where turning off pulseaudio
is a workaround.

Turning pulseaudio is also the last resort suggested to isolate the
problems with audio (also for fc12):
http://fedorasolved.org/Members/fenris02/pulseaudio-fixes-and-workarounds

I wanted to isolate the problem, just to be closer to the reason.

For complete test just I enabled pulseaudio again, unfortunately no help.
Here are pulseaudio versions:

prompt# rpm -qa | grep pulse
pulseaudio-module-x11-0.9.21-2.fc12.i686
pulseaudio-libs-0.9.21-2.fc12.i686
pulseaudio-libs-glib2-0.9.21-2.fc12.i686
kde-settings-pulseaudio-4.3-15.1.noarch
pulseaudio-0.9.21-2.fc12.i686
alsa-plugins-pulseaudio-1.0.21-2.fc12.i686
pulseaudio-utils-0.9.21-2.fc12.i686

Additionally I did another test:

started my system to runlevel 3, then logged in as root.
with pulseaudio off, in alsamixer, enabled "boost mic +20db", "capture"
to max, "mic" to max.
then:
 arecord -vv -fdat foo.wav
 aplay -vv foo.wav

unfortunatelly no help, I need to shout to hear anything.

best regards,
Michal