Low volume and no SPDIF output with Intel HDA ALC889

Hello
I just assembled a new nehalem based system with an Intel DX58SO motherboard, which comes with an Intel HDA ALC889 codec:

$ aplay -l
**** Lista de PLAYBACK Dispositivos Hardware ****
tarjeta 0: Intel [HDA Intel], dispositivo 0: ALC889 Analog [ALC889 Analog]
  Subdispositivos: 1/1
  Subdispositivo #0: subdevice #0
tarjeta 0: Intel [HDA Intel], dispositivo 1: ALC889 Digital [ALC889 Digital]
  Subdispositivos: 1/1
  Subdispositivo #0: subdevice #0

(Sorry for the spanish, btw, is there any way to change the output language?)

$ aplay -L
null
front:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, ALC889 Analog
    Front speakers
surround40:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, ALC889 Analog
surround41:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, ALC889 Analog
surround50:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, ALC889 Analog
surround51:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, ALC889 Analog
surround71:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, ALC889 Analog
iec958:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, ALC889 Digital
    IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output

Installed Ubuntu 9.10 on it (2.6.31-16 kernel). The analog audio worked out of the box, but I noticed that the output was really quiet, and the spdif output just wouldn't work, even after I updated manually from alsa 1.0.20 to 1.0.22. I think both are common problems:

When I do:
mplayer -ao alsa:device=hw=0.1 -ac hwac3 whatever_with_5.1_audio.mkv
I get:
[AO_ALSA] alsa-lib: conf.c:4484:(parse_args) Unknown parameter AES0
[AO_ALSA] alsa-lib: conf.c:4617:(snd_config_expand) Parse arguments error: No such file or directory
[AO_ALSA] alsa-lib: pcm.c:2211:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM hw:0,1,AES0=6

Is there any workaround for this problem? Or ALC889 is just barely supported, and there is just no possible solution yet?

Thanks a lot, and happy new year.

Francisco Moreno Muñoz
f8moreno@xxxxxxxxx