Re: MAudio 2496 left-channel crackling

Matt Garman <matthew.garman@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I did that too---took the card out and visually inspected it for
> anything obvious (leaking or mis-shapen capacitors, burnt-looking
> solder joints, etc).  I didn't see anything though.  But that just
> means nothing obvious is wrong!  ;)  Could still be a bunk component
> in there somewhere.

For the record, only the worst cases of dry solder joint are
visible. When suspecting bad joints, your best chance is to resolder
almost everything until you're bored or you card works
again. Whichever happens first.

When heating a joint, if you hear hissing or poping sounds, it means
that the joint was probably in bad shape.

I usually start by the biggest joints, work 1/2 hour, re-test,
resolder 1/2 hour, re-test...

> No matter---I got the replacemnt request approved from the retailer,
> so hopefully I'll have a new one in a couple weeks or so.

Good news.

Cheers

--
Dominique Dumont
"Delivering successful solutions requires giving people what they