Multiple things sending to Alsa

Hi,

Apologies for the apalling subject line. I have a Toshiba satellite pro
[never buy one] which runs Ubuntu Gutsy with an Intel HDA built in
soundcard. I have compilted alsa 1.16 with
the apropriate options (according to the hda-intel ubuntu howto:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HdaIntelSoundHowto ), and I get sound
out. What I don't have is that
on my PC, I can play sounds with clients connected to Jack to Alsa which
makes sound, at the same time as playing music through some player
connected directly to alsa (not using jack). Unable to do this on my
laptop.

The problem is that I have no idea where to start looking for the
problem. Other problems include not being able to kill processes using the
soundcard (revealed with lsof /dev/snd/*) that belong to programs that
have crashed, so the
soundcard remains blocked (kill -9 pid doesn't seem to work). If anyone
knows of an apropriate fm that I can
rt then that would be great or any options that I should have included at
compile time. Or even better if anyone can explain what's going on I'd
really appreciate the time.

Apologies if this is stupid; I have tried googling lots as I'm sick of
these two problems.

Jonty