High CPU usage with latest release; "ugly hack in rate plugin poll_descriptors callback"

With the latest alse-lib release, several audio player (mpg123-alsa,
mpg321, ogg123) started using a huge amount of high cpu to play
anything. As an illustration, with mpg321 I get the numbers like the
following:

      before      after
real  2m32.188s   2m32.276s
user  0m2.212s    0m25.310s
sys   0m0.108s    0m47.259s

Through bisection, I've tracked this down to the following patch:

changeset:   2348:95e6e03f2e9d
user:        tiwai
date:        Mon Nov 12 12:01:16 2007 +0100
summary:     Remove ugly hack in rate plugin poll_descriptors callback

If I re-add this hack to the 1.0.16 release, everything works find for
me. Should this be considered a regression? It looks like several apps
relied on the old behaviour. If this is considered an application bug,
perhaps alsa-lib could be made to print out a warning?

I'm using the snd_usb_audio driver with a C-Media usb device (id
0d8c:000c). I don't have a custom asoundrc file. I'm not sure what
information would be useful here, ask anything and I'll follow up :)