Re: Multiple things sending to Alsa

J M Needham wrote:

Not an expert.  Some comments meant to be helpful.
> Hi,
>
> Apologies for the apalling subject line. I have a Toshiba satellite pro
> [never buy one] which runs Ubuntu Gutsy with an Intel HDA built in
> soundcard. I have compilted alsa 1.16 with
> the apropriate options (according to the hda-intel ubuntu howto:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HdaIntelSoundHowto ), and I get sound
> out. What I don't have is that
> on my PC, I can play sounds with clients connected to Jack to Alsa which
> makes sound, at the same time as playing music through some player
> connected directly to alsa (not using jack). Unable to do this on my
> laptop.

Can't help with this.  Didn't think it was possible to run separate
sound streams to alsa when jack was enabled as it grabs the device.  I
think you must have been running a sound server that you weren't aware
of.  Or you had more than one sound device.  Or the player was also
using jack.
> The problem is that I have no idea where to start looking for the
> problem. Other problems include not being able to kill processes using the
> soundcard (revealed with lsof /dev/snd/*) that belong to programs that
> have crashed, so the
> soundcard remains blocked (kill -9 pid doesn't seem to work). If anyone
> knows of an apropriate fm that I can
> rt then that would be great or any options that I should have included at
> compile time. Or even better if anyone can explain what's going on I'd
> really appreciate the time.

Have you tried alsactl restore after killing the zombie process?  This
should restore the initial state to the sound device.  I haven't seen
this behavior;  when an app crashes, it seems that the sound card
becomes available to other apps.