Re: MAudio 2496 left-channel crackling (was: Sound Quality: difference in digital outputs? optical vs coax? discrete vs integrated?)

Matt,
   For the most part I agree with your analysis. If the card is only
making noise in the left channel then it seems more likely (to me
anyway) that the card itself might be having problems. Bad clocking
would presumably cause noise in both channels.

   Any reason to suspect it's gotten damaged? I have an M-Audio 2496
and I've never had any trouble like you're experiencing.

   I cannot remember. Did you say whether this machine is dual boot?
Any problems with this specific card in Windows?

   It's my guess that the noise is not being caused by your PC
environment unless you are having some sort of problem with either the
power supply or the motherboard. Testing the card in a second computer
would help identify that. Again, I've used one of these cards for
years and never experienced what you are talking about. I'm sure if it
was happening we would hear about this here all the time.

- Mark