Re: Sound Quality: difference in digital outputs? optical vs coax? discrete vs integrated?

Matt,
   It's a great subject and one I've played with quite a bit.
Hopefully I can point you in a direction or two to think about.

   Unfortunately, I think in your quest to become totally digital in
your sound path you have ended up leaving out what is actually the
most important component in determining the overall sound - your D/A.
Without question the quality of the D/A, and then to some extent it's
immediate surroundings, will dominate the sound quality more than any
other single item. I make the assumption here that your digital path
is at least up to the task, as it probably is, within some
limitations.

   In my experience there is no comparison between my Benchmark DAC1
and the D/A in our home theater. In one case the DAC1 is a $1K
converter driven by a spdif cable. In the other case it's a $300 Sony
receiver with probably a $20 D/A. No comparison as to which sounds
more accurate, open, sweet, clear and any other adjective you want to
use. I get far better sound using the DAC1 into analog audio inputs
than I do using the internal D/A that Sony put in the receiver.

   I think until we discuss the quality of the D/A in the unit being
driven by the TOS cable we might actually find you're as well off, if
not better, with the analog outputs of a *properly* *driven* MAudio
2496.

   As for the actual digital path it depends on what you're going to
send over it and what capabilities the transmitter and receiver have.
Some, if not many, of the PC-based TOS and spdif interfaces are locked
to 48KHz. This is fine for DVD but not good at all for CD audio. I
would first determine if the clock rates can be changed on the
PC-based units you are considering. If not stick with a good sound
card which has this capability.

   After you determine what's going to send the digital data you then
need to ensure that the receiving TOS/spdif interface can sync to it.
Does it automatically switch to the frequency being sent or does it
require that you provide a clock. A lot of pro gear makes an
assumption that you have a word clock generator which I'm guessing you
don't have or don't want to use for this application.

   If it turns out that any part of this path is locked to 48K then
you'll have to resample your pristine lossless audio rips from 44.1K
to 48K. That will add lots of coloring to the sound and (in my opinion
anyway) make the rest of this discussion almost unimportant.

   Hope these comments give you some ideas about what to look for.

Good luck,
Mark