Re: MAudio 2496 left-channel crackling (was: Sound Quality: difference in digital outputs? optical vs coax? discrete vs integrated?)

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 06:17:32AM -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> Any reason to suspect it's gotten damaged? I have an M-Audio 2496
> and I've never had any trouble like you're experiencing.

Nope, I bought it new, and only a couple months ago at that.

I forgot to mention, and don't know that this makes any difference,
but the crackling problems seemed to have developed within the last
couple weeks or so.  For the first month to six weeks I had and used
it, I don't recall any crackling.  And even still, I get some
"lucky" time when there's no crackling.

> I cannot remember. Did you say whether this machine is dual boot?
> Any problems with this specific card in Windows?

Nope, it's Linux only.  Though I do have an extra hard drive laying
around, I suppose I could do a quick windows install and see what
happens.

> It's my guess that the noise is not being caused by your PC
> environment unless you are having some sort of problem with either
> the power supply or the motherboard. Testing the card in a second
> computer would help identify that. Again, I've used one of these
> cards for years and never experienced what you are talking about.
> I'm sure if it was happening we would hear about this here all the
> time.

The motherboard is as new as the soundcard; the system is otherwise
100% stable (and I push it pretty hard---four instances of
seti@home, h264 video encoding, vmware, lots of compiling (running
gentoo), etc).  The power supply is probably about a year old, but
has never given me any problems (and it's a Corsair, which is
supposed to be one of the better brands).

Anyway, I bought the 2496 off newegg, and just filled out a
replacement request.  I think I'll wait until I get the replacement
card to do any further testing.

Thanks again for all your help!

Much appreciated,
Matt