Re: Help/advice on RME cards and Linux ALSA

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 13:44:28 -0800 (PST)
Bill Unruh <unruh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > But sound comes with no tag attached, saying it's a 1Hz signal. And
> > that's why any DFT has Fsample/Number_of_samples spectral resolution.
>
> AGain that depends. If you are searching for a sine wave of undetermined
> period, you can determine the period far more accurately than that.
> I agree that the naive fourier transform will give that result.

OK, OK, open a startup and/or new science research, claiming the
result will be an application/apparatus capable of producing reliable
indication of presence of 1Hz spectral component having at input only
1ms == 0.001 second long recording of arbitrary unknown sound.

The whole point of real world sound is that it is, essentially, noise,
i.e. no apparatus/application can know beforehand what the next sample
or analog value is going to be.

Regards,
  Sergei.

--