Re: X modes make my eyes cross (not literally).

Welp, I've spent the better part of 4 or 5 hours trying out various
modelines and reading about modelines, etc.

And well, I can't get it to do any better than the defaults.  Also, I
found my monitor manual (it is from 1997), and I can't find anything
in it except:

Res		H1/V1	H2/V2
1280x1024	91.1/85	64/60
1024x768	79/100	68.7/85
800x600		76/120	62.5/100
etc..

The rest is about how I shouldn't put my monitor in extreme cold or
heat, etc., in about five or six different languages.

No matter what I try, I seem to get staggering lines.  So, I would
wager it's with the horizontal timings.  I have no effect similar in
my text console, but I'm only running 80x50, at the moment.

I still think the monitor has gotten old (that is, finally broke).
But that's just my opinion -- solidified only by that this all worked
with a Voodoo 3000 only a few weeks ago, but now it does not.

Is the above information enough?  The exact model is a CTX VL710.  And
1280x1024 (or 960) used to be very crisp and nice to work in.  Now
it's a headache just for a few seconds.

Is there a better utility to try out different modes??  I had to
restart X for each change.  I know I could have made about 10 or so
trails and done them all at once... but sill that's not as good as
something like xvidtune.  But xvidtune only let me change some of the
settings (and they didn't seem to change the problem, much).

I appreciate all you all's help so far, it has been very useful and
timely -- thanks.

I guess I'll start shopping around for a replacement monitor.  (I wish
I could afford a 17" LCD).

Thanks again,
  Gryn (Adam)