Re: X modes make my eyes cross (not literally).

Adam Luter wrote:

> Welp, I've spent the better part of 4 or 5 hours trying out various
> modelines and reading about modelines, etc.
>
> And well, I can't get it to do any better than the defaults.  Also, I
> found my monitor manual (it is from 1997), and I can't find anything
> in it except:
>
> Res             H1/V1   H2/V2
> 1280x1024       91.1/85 64/60
> 1024x768        79/100  68.7/85
> 800x600         76/120  62.5/100
> etc..
>
> The rest is about how I shouldn't put my monitor in extreme cold or
> heat, etc., in about five or six different languages.
>
> No matter what I try, I seem to get staggering lines.  So, I would
> wager it's with the horizontal timings.  I have no effect similar in
> my text console, but I'm only running 80x50, at the moment.
>
> I still think the monitor has gotten old (that is, finally broke).
> But that's just my opinion -- solidified only by that this all worked
> with a Voodoo 3000 only a few weeks ago, but now it does not.
>
> Is the above information enough?  The exact model is a CTX VL710.  And
> 1280x1024 (or 960) used to be very crisp and nice to work in.  Now
> it's a headache just for a few seconds.

The widths and timings for the space either side of the horizontal and
vertical sync pulses is required. You could try values based on other models.

> Is there a better utility to try out different modes??  I had to
> restart X for each change.  I know I could have made about 10 or so
> trails and done them all at once... but sill that's not as good as
> something like xvidtune.  But xvidtune only let me change some of the
> settings (and they didn't seem to change the problem, much).
>
> I appreciate all you all's help so far, it has been very useful and
> timely -- thanks.
>
> I guess I'll start shopping around for a replacement monitor.  (I wish
> I could afford a 17" LCD).

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=CTX+VL710
http://www.baber.com/monitors/ctx_vl710.htm

It's a plug-n-pray monitor, so i think X is meant to read the
config from it, which you could probably find stored somewhere.

It sounds like a fault if X can't set it up.