X modes make my eyes cross (not literally).

I -had- a Voodoo 3000 AGP card in my system, but this was taken away
through unrelated reasons.  I temporarily, then, was using a 10 year
old Trident 1mb PCI card.  So, of course, I stopped using X.  Now my
new shiny ATI Radeon 7500 dual head (though I only have one) 64mb card
has arrived and I'm happy!

Except (you knew that word was coming), my display looks awful!

I should mention at this point that my monitor is a 17" CTX which,
while 5 years old, has held up well with only a slight shake using the
Voodoo 3000 card if the monitor heated up alot (regardless of video
mode).

Well, when I say awful, I mean, if I use a modeline that is 60 or
above for the horizontal refresh rate.  The display looks, as near as
I can describe, like every other line is at the wrong offset to each
other, staggered like bricks:

---------
 ---------
---------
 ---------
---------

Which is very awful to try to use.  If I tell X that my monitor is
only capable of a max of 59hz horizontally, then I get modes that work
fine -- but only modes up to 1024x768.  I'd really like to be able to
use X at 1280x1024 or 1600x1200, like I used to (well, I used to just
use 1280, but 1600 was nice until you ran into a program that didn't
do the fonts correctly (i.e. ridiculously small)).

I've tried varying the Vert as the documentation suggests, but this
did not help.  Instead I had to adjust the Horizontal, as I mentioned
above.  My monitors specs are (autodetected, but printed manual
confirmed):

H Sync Range: 30-95
V Sync Range: 50-160

Right now I have them at the "Default" (both are much lower), except I
have raised the H Sync upto 59 in order to have access to a useable
1024x768 mode (otherwise the "Default" only gives you 640x480).

So I guess I'm asking, has my monitor finally kicked the bucket?  Are
there modelines I could use that aren't built-into 4.2?  (I am only
using those, since I do not know where the others may be).  If I
bought a new shiny monitor, would things work out?  Will Martha tell
John about his baby?  Is Carl really the father?  These questions and
more, will be answered.  Well maybe they will.  Will you?

Eccletically Yours,
  Gryn (Adam Luter)

p.s. Even with the 1024x768 mode (56hz) there is a -slight-
staggering, but in the higher modes it is so drastic it sometimes
appears to "shake".