Re: try to recompile KDrivev / Tiny-X for a 16 grey levels lcd screen

Around 11 o'clock on Oct 3, "Guillaume Weymeskirch" wrote:

> I would like to run the optimized KDrive / Tiny-X server on a custom grey
> lcd screen, which is 320x240x4bpp in a no-planar, packed pixels format
> (i.e: 2 adjacent pixels per byte).

That's the format used by the frame buffer code in the X server, assuming
that the pixels are in the same order as bytes within a word (e.g. on a
little-endian machine, the pixel formed from the low four bits in each byte
should be displayed to the left of the pixel in the high four bits)

> After have searched in the mailing-list archives here (newbies and XPert),
> Il successfully cross-compiled kdrive, but I found no information about
> fbdev used in the 4bpp format. If I had a working 2.4 kernel framebuffer
> driver for my lcd, could I use kdrive with it ?

Yes, if you build a kernel frame buffer driver, Xfbdev will support it.

> In the itsy directory, it seems to be no drawing functions for 16 grey
> levels, only an itsy hardware interface - like lcd init or palette
> settings. So I assume the Itsy driver uses in fact framebuffer functions
> for drawing...

You shouldn't need to write any new code for the X server.  The Itsy
directory exists because the Itsy didn't provide a kernel frame buffer
interface, but rather a custom interface.  Xfbdev is used without change
on the 4-bit gray scale iPAQ hardware.

Keith Packard        XFree86 Core Team        HP Cambridge Research Lab