Re: mysqli extension installation

hy. today I was in the mood to solve this mysqli problem - and I hit a
dilemma. Really, it's strange (at least for me). Let me tell you the longer
version of the story.
Since a very short while I used php 4.3 in combination with mysql 3.x, which
raised no problems. And since I needed the utf-8 support that mysql 4.1 has,
I made the switch. Then I got some message that the mysql version installed
uses some protocol that is not supported in php. I kinda' freaked out in the
beginning, but after doing a bit of research in the php manual, I found out
that I needed to use the mysqli functions with mysql 4.1 and higher. So here
I am, trying to install them. Surprisingly, my version of php doesn't
include a php_mysqli.dll file in the extensions directory. So I thought that
my version of php is a bit old and so I got the newest 4.x version off the
net. and what do you know: no php_mysqli.dll in the extensions dir. So, with
the last hope I could grasp, I downloaded php 5.0.5, the very last version
of php. This one did have php_mysqli.dll, but when I copied it into the
extensions dir and made the necessary change in the php.ini file, it showed
me a message asking me for a php5 file: "php5ts.dll", which, indeed, was
inside the php5 archive - but which didn't correspond to my version of php.
So I am in a dilemma: is php 4.x not supposed to use php_mysqli.dll at all?
Then what am I supposed to do?
I really don't know what to do now... Please give me a hand if you can.
Thanks.