EPIA M with FF Card

Leo M?rquez a ?crit :
> En/na Nicolas Huillard ha escrit:
>
>> Sebastian a ?crit :
>>
>>> Seems like many people actually like using an EPIA with a budget card.
>>> What I would like to know is what possibilities are there to connect to
>>> a TV set? I mean the Epia just features a simple fbas tv-out, right? So
>>> that's a downside, because with a J2 pinblock on a FF card you can use
>>> RGB or S-Video instead of FBAS. Or am I missing anything?
>>
>> EPIA M also have a s-video connector. Maybe you are refering to older
>> EPIAs without this conneector.
>> Better quality is achieved using the VGA connector to a LCD/plasma TV.
>> And I mean really better quality. Tony Grant could explain more on this.
>> You can also directly use your average CRT monitor, which is already
>> far better than any TV.
>>
> Well after this a lot of information I have decided try to set VDR with
> only one DVB-t budget pci card.
> I have a FF dvb-s card but epia have only one pci and I dont have the
> riser card to get 2 pci's from the one pci of the epia.
> If I obtain good results without FF card (using HW accel from epia
> CLE266) I will buy a bugdet dvb-s card, probably nova-s from haupaugge.
>
> My TV is a normal Loewe 100Hz with scarts.
> My htpc case is the Silverstone LC11M (front 2 lines display and ir)
> My distro is debian
> The kernel I have thought to use is the 2.6.11.10 with the config file
> from epiawiki.org:
>
> Mostly-minimalist .config file for a Epia M or M2 used as a multi-media
> server. Based on Gentoo 2.6.11-r5.
> is located here:
> http://www.epiawiki.org/wiki/tiki-download_file.php?fileId=14

This config does not have the viafb frame-buffer set, but DRM is. This
is maybe aimed at X setup, not frame-buffer/DirectFB.

> And add the dvb driver in the kernel.
> I supose that the next steps can be:
>    - lirc    - softdevice? (I supose that I have to use the s-vga to
> scart connection from epia to my TV

You mean "s-video" connector (round, yellow), not vga (d-sub, blue).

> But I continue having dubts and a lot of information that confuse me.
> The last post by Laurence Abbott has left me outside orbits.
>
> I don't understand if is better to me use softdevice or xine and how to
> set X without desktop.

softdevice = no X, just VDR. You won't have the possibility to add a
browser, for instance.

Xine works best on EPIA with XvMC, so it needs X, and you will have the
possibility to use the computer for something else than VDR (if you add
a keyboard, a mouse, and so on).

You can maybe just test each one ?

How to set X without desktop : install XFree, don't run /etc/init.d/gdm
at startup, then type "startx" on a console. This will bring X for your
login, with a single xterm. No window manager, awful look. Type ^D in
the xterm, this will quit X an return to the console. That's the
old-fashionned way to start X (thus the name of the command). Add
commands to you  ~/.xinitrc script and these will be executed inside you
X session, instead of the single xterm.

>    - display plugin? (anyone can tell me one?)

The display plugin is either softdevice or vdr-xine or xineliboutput.
Just choose.

> I have set up a VDR in a normal PC compiling it from source code and the
> usual plugins. Do you recommend continue this way or is better use the
> etobi debian packages? What advantages has each method?

e-tobi won't bring you softdevice for the moment. I don't know for
vdr-xine, but XvMC is not part of XFree on Debian. Use another
repository for that (http://www.physik.fu-berlin.de/~glaweh/debian/)
Get the e-tobi packages that are available, and compile the missing ones
yourself. As long as you do not patch VDR, you won't have to recompile
too much. If you start to patch VDR, you have to recompile everything.

--
NH