Re: how to suppress icons in systray ?

On Wed, 19 Apr 2023 17:57:12 +0000
William Morder via tde-users <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Back when I first jumped ship from KDE, and found my way over to TDE, I did
> bring up this issue, but nobody seemed to have heard of the trick, whatever
> it was. For now, I just keep the "pkill ksystraycmd" command in a shell, so
> that I can hit return and kill it when the systray gets too cluttered with
> those ghost icons.
>
> If I can kill them with this command, however, yet the programs still keep
> working, then those ghost icons are not really essential, so I would like to
> suppress them altogether.

I did a little more poking around.

grep through your collected settings files and scripts for any mention
of ksystraycmd, because calling it for every program does not seem to be
default setup.  The man page says:

ksystraycmd - Allows any application to be kept in the system tray

I have never seen an instance of this thing running on my system that I can
recall, probably because I have no interest in using the systray as a
mini-taskbar.

So you must have set this up on purpose, and you may need to change the
options being passed to the program (it has a fair number) to get rid of your
"ghost icons".  Or there may be a bug in the program itself, unless it's a lot
more commonly used than I think it is.

(Or you can just schedule your pkill command to run from cron periodically.)

E. Liddell