how to suppress icons in systray ?

Thanks for the suggestions about changing the paths in my home folder. Funny,
but it's been so long since I did it that I completely forgot it was in the
Trinity Control Center. I knew it had to be simple, because last time I
thought about it was at least 15 years ago, when I was a total n00b.

So here's another issue that suddenly reappears: Whenever I open some
programs, an icon automatically pops up in the systray. I can kill these, of
course, by running pkill ksystraycmd, but after I do this a few times within,
say ten minutes, I get tired of it.

Now, I don't mean to kill those icons that I actually want and use; for
example, smplayer puts an icon in the systray, and it is actually useful. But
when I first start the program, a second icon is generated, too, a sort of
ghost icon that serves no real function. This is the bugaboo that I want to
suppress, so that it is not generated in the first place.

Since I reinstalled my OS, I also inadvertently changed some of my paths, and
I believe that this might be a similar issue, because now some apps are
generating icons for the systray, apps that never generated icons there
before now.

This is annoying, as my systray gets cluttered with stuff I don't use; and
furthermore, I get duplicates on top of duplicates on top of yet more
duplicates. It's one thing to have smplayer's icon, as well as the ghost
icon; I kill it, doesn't come back until the next time. But now when I open
text files, I get a new icon for each new text file, so that I end up with a
dozen useless icons taking up space.

I did check TCC under these programs, and this isn't the same thing, where you
see a box to tick off for "Place in system tray"; these ghost icons are
something else.

Any help or suggestions are welcome.

Bill