Re: how to suppress icons in systray ?

On Wednesday 19 April 2023 20:07:56 E. Liddell via tde-users wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Apr 2023 17:57:12 +0000
>
> William Morder via tde-users <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Back when I first jumped ship from KDE, and found my way over to TDE, I
> > did bring up this issue, but nobody seemed to have heard of the trick,
> > whatever it was. For now, I just keep the "pkill ksystraycmd" command in
> > a shell, so that I can hit return and kill it when the systray gets too
> > cluttered with those ghost icons.
> >
> > If I can kill them with this command, however, yet the programs still
> > keep working, then those ghost icons are not really essential, so I would
> > like to suppress them altogether.
>
> I did a little more poking around.
>
> grep through your collected settings files and scripts for any mention
> of ksystraycmd, because calling it for every program does not seem to be
> default setup.  The man page says:
>
> ksystraycmd - Allows any application to be kept in the system tray
>
> I have never seen an instance of this thing running on my system that I can
> recall, probably because I have no interest in using the systray as a
> mini-taskbar.
>
> So you must have set this up on purpose,

That could be, although I don't remember doing so. On the other hand, I did
deliberately drag that shortcuts folder to the systray, because I can access
almost anywhere in my system quickly.

It could be that that shortcuts folder is itself part of the problem, but I
don't want to think about it yet.

> and you may need to change the
> options being passed to the program (it has a fair number) to get rid of
> your "ghost icons".  Or there may be a bug in the program itself, unless
> it's a lot more commonly used than I think it is.
>
> (Or you can just schedule your pkill command to run from cron
> periodically.)
>
> E. Liddell

I'll do some reading on ksystraycmd and dbus, see what I can find. The weekend
is coming.

Bill