Re: how to suppress icons in systray ?

On Wednesday 19 April 2023 20:07:56 E. Liddell via tde-users wrote:
snip
>>  I just keep the "pkill ksystraycmd" command in
> > a shell, so that I can hit return and kill it when the systray gets too
> > cluttered with those ghost icons.
snip

> ksystraycmd - Allows any application to be kept in the system tray
>
> I have never seen an instance of this thing running on my system that I can
> recall, probably because I have no interest in using the systray as a
> mini-taskbar.

> So you must have set this up on purpose, and you may need to change the
> options being passed to the program (it has a fair number) to get rid of
> your "ghost icons".  Or there may be a bug in the program itself, unless
> it's a lot more commonly used than I think it is.
>
> (Or you can just schedule your pkill command to run from cron
> periodically.)

Some further thoughts ...

So if I put those icons in my systray deliberately, I wondered how, and I went
searching through the TDE menu editor. The results are very inconclusive.

For example:

1) smplayer is ticked off to run in my systray, because of course the icon
gives access to most of the commands used for that program. Why the ghost
icon also appears in my systray is still an open question, though.

2) audacious is not ticked off to run in my systray, even though it does so;
however, ghost icons do not usually appear for audacious.

3) xscreensaver also is not ticked off to run in my systray, yet when I run it
a ghost icon appears in the systray.

4) qalculate-trinity is not ticked off to run in my systray, yet it does.
However, no ghost icon appears, and the systray icon only offers options of
remove from systray, minimize and quit; so it behaves sort of like one of
those ghost icons.

5) leafpad ought really not to be here (as it was discontinued after, I
believe, Debian/Devuan Jessie), but I have managed to get it working with my
system. It requires no dependencies, doesn't interfere with anything else in
my system, and thus far I haven't found another text editor (that works so
well) to replace it.

However ... it isn't ticked to run in the systray, yet a ghost icon appears
when I run it.

6) And just for kicks, I ought to add that many times those so-called ghost
icons do not correspond to the actual program that they are supposed to
represent. If I have opened several programs in close succession, I will
often end up with half a dozen icons of, for example, smplayer, yet those
icons represent half a dozen different programs, only one of which is
actually smplayer.

I don't know if these examples of ksystraycmd's seemingly erratic behavior can
help to understand the problem, but as I said, I cannot see that ksystraycmd
performs any real function that cannot be accomplished by running it from
alt-F2, or closing by a shell command. If users actually want this dubious
feature, that's fine, but for those of us who want to declutter, it seems
like an empty ornament. It doesn't really do much of anything. Worse, too,
when there are half a dozen or more of them, all doing nothing but taking up
space.

Bill