Re: how to suppress icons in systray ?

On Wed, 19 Apr 2023 22:33:05 +0000
William Morder via tde-users <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> For example:
>
> 1) smplayer is ticked off to run in my systray, because of course the icon
> gives access to most of the commands used for that program. Why the ghost
> icon also appears in my systray is still an open question, though.
>
> 2) audacious is not ticked off to run in my systray, even though it does so;
> however, ghost icons do not usually appear for audacious.
>
> 3) xscreensaver also is not ticked off to run in my systray, yet when I run it
> a ghost icon appears in the systray.
>
> 4) qalculate-trinity is not ticked off to run in my systray, yet it does.
> However, no ghost icon appears, and the systray icon only offers options of
> remove from systray, minimize and quit; so it behaves sort of like one of
> those ghost icons.
>
> 5) leafpad ought really not to be here (as it was discontinued after, I
> believe, Debian/Devuan Jessie), but I have managed to get it working with my
> system. It requires no dependencies, doesn't interfere with anything else in
> my system, and thus far I haven't found another text editor (that works so
> well) to replace it.
>
> However ... it isn't ticked to run in the systray, yet a ghost icon appears
> when I run it.

Okay, so:

-smplayer has its native systray integration set to on, and produces two
icons (real and ghost)

-audacious has its native systray integration set to off, and produces one
icon (real)

-qalculate, the only TDE-associated program on your list, probably has
no systray integration features, and produces one icon (prettied-up ghost)

-the other non-TDE programs probably do not have native systray features,
and both generate one icon (ghost)

My guess at this point is that you're somehow invoking all of these through
ksystraycmd, and the different behaviours are due to the presence or absence
of internal systray integration, and/or the programs' relationship with TDE
and TQT.  However, I have a history of sometimes seeing patterns that
aren't there.

If you've always been starting these from your folder widget, try calling
up one of them (leafpad's probably the quickest) from the main menu, then
from the command line.  Do you still get phantom icons?  If not, your
folder shortcut is indeed the problem.

You may be better off switching to the Quick Launch applet for
frequently-used applications (unlock your panel, install it, configure it,
lock the panel back up).  Or see if you can add the folder as a separate
button beside the menu, if the Quick Launch is unendurable for some
reason.  Heck, you might be able to set the folder as the sole item in
the Quick Launch  Or you could wrap every program you put in the folder
in a launcher script that forks the main program then kills ksystraycmd,
although the cron job I suggested previously is probably easier.

E. Liddell