Re: Reliably play a sound without disrupting the screen? [offtopic]

William Morder via tde-users wrote:

> So Linphone (for example) is maybe where I ought to move in the future for
> my phone. I already have it installed on both smartphones and my laptop,
> but none of my contacts use it.

Well, Linphone is a SIP client, where you can configure your SIP account and
do phone calls.

> There is a way to use VOIP/SIP phones not just to call other users of
> Linphone, but like an actual phone, to call regular numbers. But one must
> get a monthly service, which is inexpensive, and of course internet is
> necessary for them to work. But if I can get internet wherever I am going,
> then this will work.

Yes this is because you use an interconnect to Telcos networks.

> I am curious how this change will happen. As things stand now, VOIP/SIP
> only works with internet. What about the old folks who still have their
> landline, haven't figured out how to work a cell phone, and are afraid to
> go online?

the change is transparent for the customer and it already happened. Most of
the Telcos use their internet network to operate the SIP/VoIP part in
transparent way. The landline (your phone) is connected to a modem and the
modem does have the SIP account associated with your phone number, so when
I call your phone number the switch (voice switch) will route the call to
your SIP account and the modem will signal via the phone.
So all the magic is under the service and the user can still use his/her
phone.

I don't have the time to google now good articles, but it is explained
already at numerous places.

There are still some ADSL/ISDN switches involved, but AFAIK the issue is
they consume much more power and cost more (licenses and support)

BR