Re: Reliably play a sound without disrupting the screen? [offtopic]

On Monday 21 November 2022 02:24:12 deloptes wrote:
> William Morder via tde-users wrote:
> > The rule of smartphones has indirectly interfered with my travel plans,
> > with my work, my finances, and I am trying to extricate myself from this
> > trap. Since I cannot, at present, get rid of my smartphone completely,
> > then the next best thing is to try to get control over it.
>
> Technology is changing anyway and moving to LTE VoIP. Which means that the
> smart phone will become an internet device with SIP client anyway. In the
> US 3G is disabled and probably later 4G.
>
> The land lines moved in the past years to SIP anyway.
>
> I guess it is the costs that is driving the providers to move in this
> direction.

So Linphone (for example) is maybe where I ought to move in the future for my
phone. I already have it installed on both smartphones and my laptop, but
none of my contacts use it.

There is a way to use VOIP/SIP phones not just to call other users of
Linphone, but like an actual phone, to call regular numbers. But one must get
a monthly service, which is inexpensive, and of course internet is necessary
for them to work. But if I can get internet wherever I am going, then this
will work.

I am curious how this change will happen. As things stand now, VOIP/SIP only
works with internet. What about the old folks who still have their landline,
haven't figured out how to work a cell phone, and are afraid to go online?

Bill