Re: non-starting browsers - more info

On Friday 25 February 2022 12:21:48 Dr. Nikolaus Klepp wrote:
> Anno domini 2022 Fri, 25 Feb 11:39:20 -0800
>
>  William Morder via tde-users scripsit:
> > On Friday 25 February 2022 11:20:23 Dr. Nikolaus Klepp wrote:
> > > Hi Bill!
> > >
> > > Fire up konsole, start htop and kill anything firefoxish you see.
> > >
> > > Start another konsole, start firefox from within it so you get debug
> > > output.
> > >
> > > look at htop and observe what happens.
> > >

> > > Nik
> >
> > I get nothing from that. Firefox doesn't show up at all anywhere.
> > However, I did manage to fire up the links2 browser, which gives me at
> > least a little more internet access.
>
> Ok, misunderstood you problem. It is not "browsers do not start" but
> "browsers start, but don't get to the net"? Caλn you post some addres you
> can't reach? e.g. can you ping 23.155.224.73 ? can you ping
> trinitydesktop.org?
>
> Problem in my part of the word is that some tomatobrains try to bring "the"
> internet down - might be a problem with some jab charges, who knows.
> Anyway, it just results in braking normal access to clourdflare and some
> nameservers, but TOR works without problems.
>
> Nik

Okay, so it appears that I don't necessarily have a problem connecting to
various sites. Somehow or other, settings got changed in palemoon, and I
don't have a clue why.

Cookies were enabled, for example, though I didn't find any that had actually
been stored, so it seems it was reset during reinstallation. (Mind you, I
copied over all my folders from my old desktop, so that my user settings
ought to have stayed the same.) Likewise, I was blocked from certain sites
due to a palemoon extension, https enforcer; which I had already installed
and enabled before, but now unaccountably my settings were changed to block
all http connections. I don't generally allow them, but there are certain
pages that still only have http, for example:
http://www.bluesbeforesunrise.org/
-- which was a real crisis for a few hours, as I listen to this show
religiously.

Anyway, so getting blocked from various sites seems to be a non-issue, and
only distracts from the main problem, which is why only a couple browsers
will start up. And they are two rather non-mainstream browsers. I can live
for a while without these other browsers, but eventually I will need to check
my bank account, or buy something online, and will need vivaldi. And some of
my research, due to my unwholesome interest in history and such, is only ever
conducted with an ultra-secure browser like icecat over Tor.

The thing is, I've been using this laptop since about the first week or so of
December, and within the first day or two I had it running pretty well. If
anything, I've gradually got rid of any problems, and it seemed like I was
almost *there* (wherever that is), where I could just do what I do and stop
thinking about the machine itself all the time.

Now all of a sudden this issue, with almost none of my usual browsers able to
start up at all: it's blind-sided me, and I don't even know where to look for
the cause.

I'm considering uncommenting those lines and trying non-free and contrib in my
sources, just to see if it has any effect. But that sounds crazy, since I
have an internet connection, can download stuff, can send and receive emails,
and at least two of my browsers do actually work, sort of.

Unless there is any good reason to suppose otherwise, I will assume that there
is a common cause for these things (non-starting browsers), and that the
exceptions to the rule (those browsers that do start up, namely palemoon and
links2) must have something in common, besides being rather non-mainstream,
that sets them apart.

Bill

Bill