Re: non-starting browsers - more info

One more try...

On Fri, Feb 25, 2022 at 14:22 (-0800), William Morder via tde-users wrote:

> Now all of a sudden this issue, with almost none of my usual browsers able to
> start up at all: it's blind-sided me, and I don't even know where to look for
> the cause.

I'm still curious as to what exactly that means.

If you open a terminal window and try to start (for example) firefox,
by typing
        firefox
to the shell prompt and pressing the enter key, *exactly* what
happens?  Saying "doesn't start" is vague to the point of meaninglessness.

(Or opera or vivaldi or whatever browser you like.)

Does the shell say something like "command not found"?

Does the shell report the browser crashed?

Do you get a prompt back, but no window shows up on your screen?

Do you not get a prompt back?

Are there absolutely no error messages or similar that show up in your
terminal window?

Note that unless you have a very long window, a process that isn't
using much CPU time might be far enough down the list that you won't
see it with top or htop.  If you really want to know whether it is
there, open a second terminal window and try typing the command
     ps axuw | grep firefox
(or grep for whatever browser you tried to start that "isn't
starting") and let us know what it says.

                                Jim