Re: non-starting browsers - more info

On Friday 25 February 2022 16:01:41 Jim wrote:
> One more try...
>
> On Fri, Feb 25, 2022 at 14:22 (-0800), William Morder via tde-users wrote:
> > Now all of a sudden this issue, with almost none of my usual browsers
> > able to start up at all: it's blind-sided me, and I don't even know where
> > to look for the cause.
>
> I'm still curious as to what exactly that means.
>
> If you open a terminal window and try to start (for example) firefox,
> by typing
>         firefox
> to the shell prompt and pressing the enter key, *exactly* what
> happens?  Saying "doesn't start" is vague to the point of meaninglessness.
>
> (Or opera or vivaldi or whatever browser you like.)
>
> Does the shell say something like "command not found"?
>
> Does the shell report the browser crashed?
>
> Do you get a prompt back, but no window shows up on your screen?
>
> Do you not get a prompt back?
>
> Are there absolutely no error messages or similar that show up in your
> terminal window?
>

> Note that unless you have a very long window, a process that isn't
> using much CPU time might be far enough down the list that you won't
> see it with top or htop.  If you really want to know whether it is
> there, open a second terminal window and try typing the command
>      ps axuw | grep firefox
> (or grep for whatever browser you tried to start that "isn't
> starting") and let us know what it says.
>
>                                 Jim

Sorry, but I have never had a problem quite like this. I don't even know where
to begin. I've been running TDE since about 2010, off and on, and KDE3 before
that from about 2006. This is a first for me.

As it happens, I have been experimenting with just that approach. Here is what
I get from trying to start Firefox from a konsole window.

$ firefox
(firefox-esr:19742): Gtk-ERROR **: 16:12:42.109: GTK+ 2.x symbols detected.
Using GTK+ 2.x and GTK+ 3 in the same process is not supported
ExceptionHandler::GenerateDump cloned child
ExceptionHandler::WaitForContinueSignal waiting for continue signal...
19749
ExceptionHandler::SendContinueSignalToChild sent continue signal to child
Trace/breakpoint trap

Vivaldi gives even less information:
$ vivaldi-snapshot
(vivaldi-snapshot:20029): Gtk-ERROR **: 16:14:29.797: GTK+ 2.x symbols
detected. Using GTK+ 2.x and GTK+ 3 in the same process is not supported
Trace/breakpoint trap

$ midori
(midori:20520): Gtk-ERROR **: 16:17:48.267: GTK+ 2.x symbols detected. Using
GTK+ 2.x and GTK+ 3 in the same process is not supported
Trace/breakpoint trap

I could go on, but it seems to be this problem with gtk2 and gtk3.

Thanks for your interest.

Bill