Re: strange visitors on top

On Thu, Feb 24, 2022 at 05:40:18PM -0800, William Morder via tde-users wrote:
> Does anybody know what these processes represent?
>
> applet.py
> agent
> at-spi-bus-laun

Ever since the Linux community, especially Gnome, has been taken over by
what Jamie Zawinski famously described as the Cascade of Attention-Deficit
Teenagers programming model, there has been an increase in programs and
processes given utterly bland, uninformative, impossible to google
names. My XFCE desktop has programs called "Videos", "Web", "Screenshot"
(*two* of them, for some reason!) etc.

I presume you have tried googling for "Linux agent" and "Linux
applet.py". I don't have to imagine how useless that was, because I just
tried it myself.

You might have better luck if you copy and paste the line from ps and
google that:

ps aux | grep agent

At least the third is easy to find:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=at-spi-bus-launcher

> They show up in top, running as processes under my user name, PIDs are all
> close together in the 2600 range, but they are new visitors that I've never
> seen before.

You're running on a new machine, presumably with a new OS. So it is
perfectly expected that you will see processes that you've never seen
before, and nothing to be concerned about.

Since these processes are not part of TDE, you will probably get a
better answer by asking the Linux distro community you are using.

> I've tried to track them down to their source, so far with no luck.

What have you tried?

Since those processes may not be running on our computers, and two of
the names are so generic that googling is useless, we need to see what
you can see.

For example, running `ps aux | grep applet.py` will show us the full
process line. `locate applet.py` will hopefully give us a single entry,
and then you can run `less PATH/TO/applet.py` to read the code, which
hopefully will give some information.

At the very least, even the location of the file will help.

--
Steve