Re: non-starting browsers - more info

On Fri, Feb 25, 2022 at 04:19:44PM -0800, William Morder via tde-users wrote:

> $ firefox
> (firefox-esr:19742): Gtk-ERROR **: 16:12:42.109: GTK+ 2.x symbols detected.
> Using GTK+ 2.x and GTK+ 3 in the same process is not supported

There should be no possible way to get that error from a fresh
installation (or re-installation, from scratch) of the OS. That would
suggest that either Devuan is broken out of the box, or you have not
actually done a fresh re-installation of the OS, and have ended up with
some parts of the old OS and some of the new.

The error you are getting is a sign that your applications (Firefox,
Vivaldi, even xfce4-terminal) are simultaneously linked to both the
GTK+2 and GTK+3 libraries, which is a no-no. That normally only happens
when you incompletely upgrade and end up with the application relying on
some old libraries from pre-upgrade and some new from post-upgrade.

See this five year old thread:

I doubt that Devuan would put out a stable release that was so seriously
broken that you can't even launch a web browser or terminal. But what do
I know, maybe that is normal for Devuan?

    "Sorry, we got our package dependencies completely wrong *again*,
    and installed the wrong versions of libraries all over the place!!!
    Oops, our bad, LOL smiley-face tears-of-laughter heart heart."

Not very likely.

Oh I don't know. I've never installed Debian or Devuan. Maybe this is
normal for them.

This is clearly not a TDE issue. It is a severe and massive breakage of
your Devuan system, one which affects multiple applications. You should
be asking for help on Devuan forums where people are more likely to give
you specific Devuan advice.

--
Steve