Re: non-starting browsers

On Friday 25 February 2022 02:10:11 pm William Morder via tde-users wrote:
> Now here's another puzzle. I don't know if it's related to my previous
> question about unwanted visitors in top, but I decided that I ought to
> start a new thread.
>
> I managed to get rid of those pesky unwelcome visitors, and imagined that I
> was on the way to having a machine that actually does what I want.
>
> All of a sudden, most of my browsers will not launch at all. I even went on
> a spree, and downloaded lots of different browsers, just to try them out
> (and to see if I could get anything to connect to the Internet). Thus far I
> have installed urf, surf-raw, netsurf, netsurf-gtk, midori, epiphany
> chromium, icecat, links2, lynx, elinks, vivaldi-snapshot, seamonkey and
> palemoon. Firefox is of course already installed by default.
>
> My regular browsers are icecat (to block everything that's unwanted) and
> palemoon (for when I am blocked from sites such as archive.org, etc.). I
> also use seamonkey for only one thing, which is a small blog that I don't
> really maintain much any more, but still like to check in. And I generally
> use vivaldi-snapshot for all my "business"-type stuff, where I must use a
> direct connection.
>
> Until now, this system worked just fine, both on my desktop computer and
> (since early December) on this laptop. Now, suddenly, only palemoon will
> load at all, and I am blocked from archive.org. The only thing that I have
> changed is to remove non-free and contrib from the lines in my
> sources.list, since networking has worked fine without any non-free
> software.
>
> And by the way, this is not, strictly speaking, off-topic, because it
> probably concerns tdenetworkmanager, or something like that.
>
> Everything else that I've tested, so far, works okay. I can connect to the
> internet, I can send and receive emails, I can download stuff. When I check
> top, these browsers don't even seem to load. It's not like they start
>
> I am about to try an upgrade. And if that doesn't work, to add non-free and
> contrib to my sources ... but I would really rather not do that, since it
> seems like it ought to work without them.
>
> Help, please! Any suggestions are welcome. Even snide comments and jokes
> would be a relief.
>
> Bill

1. reboot your modem/router/ etc
2. reboot your box
3. open a root terminal and enter dhclient eth0 -v (or equivalent for your
distro) and see what it says (assuming there's still a problem).

Another box test:
1. see if you can connect to the net using the same cable on another box

Onto mechanical errors:
1. check your cables for damage
2. try new cables

ISP:
1. call your ISP and see if they're having an outage.

Kate
The Great Potato Overlord